Many of you are probably pulling out your space heaters. You should make sure you are using them properly. Each year, space heaters cause thousands of residential fires sending many people to the ER for treatment of burns. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure to leave space around your heater, allowing usually 3 feet of open space on each side of the unit.
- Use an actual wall plug for power and not a multi-outlet strip.
- When shopping for space heaters, look for a cool to the touch feature and one that shuts off automatically.
- Never run a space heater in an unoccupied room.
- Make sure the one you buy is the appropriate size.
- Keep the heater away from wet areas or items.
- Always check that your rooms have a working smoke detector.