With summer around the corner, make sure you and your children are safe while enjoying the water.
The American Red Cross released summer safety tips for families.
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
- Swim with a buddy.
- Never leave a young child unattended near water.
- Make sure young children or inexperienced swimmer use life jackets in the water.
- Maintain constant supervision.
- If you have a pool, secure it with appropriate barriers.
- Avoid any distractions.
Many children who drown in home pools were out of sight for less than five minutes and in the care of one or both parents at the time.